Saturday, July 9, 2011

The Secrets of Learning Styles.

I was familiar with learning styles and, until our class meeting last tuesday, I was convinced I was a visual learner. Silly how easily we can be persuaded into believing somethings just because it is widely accepted. I was always a little unsure how a person could solely be a visual learner but instead of researching for myself this theory and developing my own opinion I continued to live visually. I focused on developing visual ways to study during my undergraduate career. I would make rolling diagrams, draw pictures, and rewrite vocab, I was convinced that it was working. Blind by my results I focus on seeing. Silly me, the whole time I thought I was assimilating information through my eyes but instead it was just active mental engagement that i was able to understand concepts. My background in art had led me to succeed with ease in a visual learning tasks because I have experience seeing. But that doesn't mean that visual is the only way I can or should learn. Everyone can learn visually and can benefit from seeing. Everyone is also auditory and kinesthetic learners. Everyone including me.

No comments:

Post a Comment